A lot has been debated, written, and discussed about college management system through ERP software. ERP or enterprise resource planning is based on a systemized arrangement of management. Most college and universities authorities are concerned as whether such software system would help their tasks. Discussed below are a few essential facts that managements of educational institutions need to consider.
The advantages at a glance:
1. Increased productivity: Educational institutions are accountable to a number of bodies, including tax, trust and audit. With ERP, the productivity will increase at every level as all functions will be integrated and combined on a large platform. As such, the accounting process will be much more transparent and open than before.
2. Security and easy access of data: Many college managements have often given their concern over the security and storage of data in regular systems. However, an ERP software solution will overcome these basic problems by offering a secure server to store and manage everything. The data of each department and function will be stored at a virtual platform in a systemized manner, which will be accessible by only the authorized personnel.
3. Reduced work load: Paper and manual work is tiring for every employee within a college. With the new system, the employees have to just record and account data at every level and department, and things will just fall in place. The reduced work load will further improve the level of employee satisfaction and will help the top level management to strike a chord with all employees in all grounds.
Things that need to be considered:
Before a college or university implements and invests in ERP software, there are few factors that need consideration.
1. Customization and configuration: Every university or college has its own branches and departments, which may not be the same with others. While selecting a software base, it is crucial to understand the level of customization that a platform offers. Such software should be essentially adaptable to customizable for all kinds of institutions, no matter how complicated the setup may be.
2. The cost: The cost is obviously an enormous concern as ERP software doesn’t come with low price tag. A well researched evaluation must be done regarding the utility of any software. A few presentations from software companies can put a light on cost in regards to profits.
3. Addable modules and options: Every ERP software empower the college management system to add a few extra features like GPS, biometric systems, smart card for students, etc. These features are also a criterion for selection of a software solution. The more option that are the available, the better will be the power and authority of the management.